Page 1 of 1

Can't make new database

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:10 pm
by slyfrank
Hi - I have not used PT3 (Mac) for a few months, but it was working fine. I booted it up today and upgraded to the latest PT3 version. Then it asked me to use database (none available, which I don't know why) or create a new one. So I try to create a new one and get the following error message:

Unable to create PostgreSQL database:
PT3_2011_01_15_140621
Reason: Unable to login to database (template1). Reason:
could not connect to server: No such file or directory Is
the server running locally and accepting connections on
Unix domain socket "/temp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

I have PostgreSQL 8.4, but I can't seem to be able to start the server from the start server app. It gives me "The command exited with a non-zero status."

So, I'm stumped. Any ideas.

Thanks

Re: Can't make new database

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:53 pm
by WhiteRider
That indicates that your PostgreSQL service isn't working. If you haven't already, try rebooting as that can often get the PostgreSQL service going again.
Did you do anything to PostgreSQL? If you deleted any files it could cause problems.
Are you still logging in as the same user, with Admin rights?

You could also try installing the latest 8.4.x version of PostgreSQL from the PostgreSQL download page, but if that doesn't help you may need to uninstall and re-install it - see this post for directions.

Re: Can't make new database

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:30 pm
by slyfrank
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did try rebooting. It is possible that in the upgrade to this new Mac, some critical files didn't make it over from the old Mac using Migration Assistant. I'm thinking that I may need to do the uninstall/re-install thing.

Re: Can't make new database

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:59 pm
by WhiteRider
Ah, yes - if you've migrated I think you'll need to re-install PostgreSQL.